With its SZBS800 and SZBS600 grades, Salzgitter Flachstahl has developed two innovative bainitic hot-rolled steels which belong to the group of complex-phase steels. These materials are predestined for use in dynamically stressed components:
- Increased hole expansion and the associated minimal edge cracking susceptibility
- Process-safe production of very complex component geometries while maintaining high tensile strength
- Significant potential for component integration
- High fatigue strength, especially when subjected to dynamic stress
- Potential for lightweight construction due to reduction in the thickness of the sheet metal and more construction-friendly design
- Very good weldability
Volkswagen AG has opted for SZBS800 in the chassis in order to take advantage of the outstanding properties of the bainitic steels from Salzgitter.