Salzgitter Flachstahl’s air-hardening steel grade RobuSal®800 was especially developed for the automotive industry. This grade meets customer demands for lighter construction, better operational strength and excellent crash behavior.
Given its remarkable characteristics, RobuSal®800 meets the latest requirements for automotive materials with regard to safety and lightweight construction potential.
With its SZBS800 and SZBS600 grades, Salzgitter Flachstahl has developed two innovative bainitic hot-rolled steels which belong to the group of complex-phase steels. These materials are predestined for use in dynamically stressed components.
Lightweight construction with RobuSal®800 and SZBS800 as Tailor Welded Blank using the example of the axle crossmember (potential analysis).
Idea: use tailor welded blanks with highest-strength steels in the example
- RobuSal®800 (sheet thickness: 2.3 mm) in the weld seam area due to excellent vibration resistance properties in the welded state
- SZBS800 (sheet thickness 2.0 mm) in the middle area due to minimal edge cracking sensitivity in highly stressed zones
- Weight savings of 18 percent
- Proof of manufacturability
- Continuous vibration test of the rear axle support successfully completed